Monday, January 3, 2011

Changing the tone

Hello everyone,
I have noticed recently that my postings are following a gloomy pattern.  As an optimist (I see the glass as being half full), I feel it’s time to change the mood around.  Discuss something positive to offset the negativity surrounding my blog before we all slip into a depression coma.
We see often articles written in news papers and magazines about the “influential people” of a specific year or era.  However, have you ever taken a moment to think of people who have been positive role models in your own life?  Someone who you looked up as a child or maybe it’s someone who you never met but agree with their principles. 
For me it’s a wide spectrum of people with no visible correlation between them; such as my husband, my grandmother, Ahmed Deedat and Angelina Jolie to name a few.  Although they have nothing in common with each other and two of them I have never met personally.  However, they have influenced me in different aspects of my life. 
I grew up in a single family household.  My grandmother was a strong character in my life as she helped my mother to raise me.  She was a confident woman with strong morals and values.  She gave me strength to believe in myself and my abilities always pushing me to achieve my goals.  “My (grandmother) was the most splendid woman I ever knew…I have met a lot of people around the world, but I have never met a more thoroughly refined woman than my (grandmother).  If I have amounted to anything it will be due to her.” (Charlie Chaplin.  He was speaking about his mother, but I changed it to grandmother to suit the context.)
Ahmed Deedat, was a writer and a confident public speaker.  He was a Muslim scholar with a broad range of knowledge not only about Islam but also about Christianity.  He spoke many different languages, which enabled him to have a clearer understanding of the religious scriptures.  This strengthened his ability to debate with Christian missionaries. He was driven and goal oriented. He was focused and never let up until the job was done. He was sharp, perceptive, forthright, fiery, and daring in his challenge of those whom he debated, particularly against those who equal his missionary zeal and sense of audacity”. (IPCI website, he is the founder of this organization)  Despite criticism he stayed firm on his mission right up until his death in 2005.  He inspires me to speak and write freely on topics that I am most passionate about.   To always stay firm on your morals and beliefs despite the obstacles you might face.
Angelina Jolie, actress, business woman, mother of six children and humanitarian.  I respect her not only as an artist.  But as a mother who does not place distinction between her children.  Her inner strength and confidence shines through  everything she does especially her humanitarian work. 
She has won two humanitarian awards for her work in obtaining aid in many countries such as Cambodia, Darfur and Jordan.  She is also an ongoing activist for refugee rights.  She has also founded the MJP organization, which was created to further conservation efforts in the Northern Territory of Cambodia.  (see Lahle Wolfe, about.comguide to read the entire biography)  Angelina Jolie is a sign of independence and strength to all women. 
The last influential person to be highlighted is my darling husband.  He is the most stable character I have ever met.  When the world feels like it’s spinning too fast and out of control, he is always there to take my hand and guide me to safety.  He is a devoted to me and our two beautiful children.  We share the same goals, morals and even fears.  He is my truest companion in life.  He gives strength when I am weak, he is my legs when I cannot walk (I do mean that literally, I can’t even count the times he has had to carry me around the house because my legs just don’t want to work), my voice when I cannot speak.  He knows me completely, just by my eyes he can tell if I’m sick, happy, worried, mad, ect.  He inspires me every day to wake up and get out of bed and to continue our life journey together.
I end with a wise quote "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade".

1 comment: